Third London Bridge attacker named

Italian intelligence operatives notified British and Moroccan authorities after Italian cops stopped Zaghba in March 2016 at Bologna Airport bound for Istanbul, Italian security officials told Politico Europe.

Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane were named on Monday. About 50 others were wounded.

He is thought to be 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, who was in London for the weekend with his girlfriend.

Police said earlier that witness accounts suggested Thomas might have been thrown into the river.

Thomas' girlfriend Christine Delcros was reportedly among those seriously injured.

One further man, arrested on suspicion of drugs and firearms offences, was bailed, the Metropolitan Police said. They have not been identified or charged.

Since the attack, 17 people have been arrested, 12 of whom have since been released without charge. But while the bridge reopened fully on Wednesday, the Borough Market and a small surrounding area remain closed, police said.

A Canadian, a French national and a Briton were among the dead, while other French nationals, a Spaniard, Australians and a New Zealander were among the 48 injured in what May called "an attack on the free world". "The attack, the third in Britain in three months, has raised questions over the government's ability to protect Britain following cuts to police numbers in recent years".

The third suspect in the deadly attack on London Bridge and Borough Market was named Tuesday as Youssef Zaghba, 22.

Rachid is believed to be the attacker who was carrying an ID card issued in Ireland when he was shot dead. Police confirmed that he was known to them and to MI5, the British intelligence service, but said they did not have evidence of a terrorist plot.

Zaghba was stopped at Bologna's airport trying to fly to Turkey in March previous year over concerns he was intending to travel on to Syria, according to reports.

Zaghba's name was put on the The Schengen Information System - a red flag warning system informing European nations if criminals are trying to enter their country - based on intelligence provided by Italian authorities in March past year.